Today the Venice Paparazzi “Pass the Spotlight” shines on Michael Jost, a 24 year Venice resident, mainstay on the local music scene, and founder of Radio Venice.
Pass the Spotlight is a transferable interview that is passed from person to person in the Venice community. Whoever is completing the interview gets to choose who the goes next. The purpose is to shine a light on all the positive things being done by the fantastic folks in our town! Maybe you will be next!
Tell us about your business or art! How you got into it, and why it is awesome. Music, music, music….always loved it…always have been drawn to it… It is awesome because it brings people from all different cultural backgrounds to communicate & learn about & from each other. Everybody understands the language of music! Venice as a multicultural place is perfect to meet & make music with people from all over the world.
What projects are you working on now, and what are your goals for the future?
- Michael Jost Solo…(making solo records & tour the world)
- Bands: VPO (Venice Philharmonic Orchestra), SPIEL, DEAN Duet with Suzy Williams + more
- RADIO VENICE: weekly radio webcast www.RadioVenice.tv live from Venice, Ca featuring great Venice & international Artists that come through Venice… promoting the Venice Culture & Music with Co Host & Venice local Tonan Ruiz
- Westminster Arts Club: collaboration of acclaimed Venice Artist Brian Mylius & Michael Jost to feature great art & music..
- Producing Music out of my Venice Beach Studio with that Venice Beach Sound ( fat & warm).
Goals for the future: making great records, touring & producing live shows & radio shows that bring our Venice culture out to the world…
In this photo: Suzy Williams and Michael Jost
What/who inspires you?
- Who: I am inspired by people that are driven to create something original…art or music… the drive to be better & beyond the already existing…
- What: music, love, art, nature, Venice
Favorite affirmation, mantra, or quote. Excellence will always cost you everything – Christopher Parkening- sound is god – Ravi Shankar
Favorite book, band or movie?
- Book: Siddartha by Hermann Hesse
- Movie: Down by Law by Jim Jarmusch
- Band: Jimi Hendrix Experience
What causes do you support? Human rights, environmental & animal protection venice specific “anti gentrification”
What’s one thing we can do to make the world a better place? Make love & not war
Finish off the statement “Life is... short, love is everything… – Peter Distefano –
What do you do on your days off? How do you treat yourself? Take time with my favorite instrument the guitar…just play, write new music & work on a new record…
Anything else you want to share about yourself to the world? I play music because I have to.
Describe Venice. If you don’t fit anywhere else, you will end up in venice… Venice allowed me to find myself…who I am & want to be…it is a rough & beautiful place at the same time… not for everyone…I feel you have to have a mission, a goal or some kind of path you are following otherwise you will get lost here…my love for venice is deep…I could not be the person or the musician that I am today without the influence of Venice..it is my home away from home…it’s my muse..it is my Hotel California – you can always check in, but you can never leave.
Describe your perfect day in Venice: (start from morning to night). Coffee walk on the beach playing guitar firing up the studio (around 4:20) playing a gig at the beach into the sunset.
Favorite Venice food items, and from where? Chili at Zelda’s Corner
Your favorite Venice event(s), activities or happy places? Radio Venice, golden hour (sunset) at my studio… playing music into the sunset… I love rainy days in venice…makes me happy.
What are some interesting destinations/activities in Venice that even locals might not be aware of? Hidden Venice treasures? www.Radiovenice.tv . Westminster Arts Club
In this photo: Radio Venice’s hosts Tonan Ruiz and Michael Jost
Who should Venice Paparazzi cast the spotlight on next? Brian Mylius and Suzy Williams
FAN AND FOLLOW MICHAEL JOST